Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Treasures

On Friday I got an unexpected parcel from my Aunt Iris and in it were old photos to add to my family tree: an old school class photo from when my dad was about 7 or 8 (1922/23?) that also includes his older sister Isobel and year younger brother Frank, a picture of my mom with my paternal grandmother and 2 of my aunts (1949?), a picture of my paternal grandparents in 1913 - perhaps an engagement picture or one taken shortly after their wedding, and a picture of my dad, very dapper, looking to be in his late teens, and his grandmother (1933/34?). Also in the package was a narrative of family history from 1913 until 1946. I was thrilled - it's nice to have someone so willing to aid one's curiosity. Can't wait until I can get to a scanner on Tuesday. And note to self - BUY A NEW HOME SCANNER!!!!!

Jordan

Who says that fiction only and false hair
Become a verse? Is there in truth no beauty?
Is all good structure in a winding stair?
May no lines pass, except they do their duty
Not to a true, but painted chair?

Is it no verse, except enchanted groves
And sudden arbours shadow coarse-spun lines?
Must purling streams refresh a lover's loves?
Must all be veiled, while he the reads, divines,
Catching the sense at two removes?

Shepherds are honest people; let them sing:
Riddle who list, for me, and pull for prime:
I envy no man's nightingale or spring;
Nor let them punish me with loss of rhyme,
Who plainly say, My God, My King.

George Herbert
1593 - 1633

No comments: